Sunday 22 September 2013

Down in the Garden...

Painting is a definite passion of mine and whenever I have the time you'll see me walking around my mother's beautiful garden taking photo's of birds or picking flowers to paint. Then I'll scurry on back into my craft room and let the artistic juices flow! :)

One of my latest art projects was to paint a set of cards. So using the before mentioned garden of paradise as inspiration, and a photo of a Blue Wren off Google Images, (mine wouldn't sit still long enough) I undertook the challenge.

In the Garden...   

                                 

This painting was completely inspired by my mother's garden right down to the humble cabbage moth. :) Her garden is always full of Terracotta pots bursting with daisies and blossoms and here I tried to recreate that. In the cards that I've made with this painting I included the caption in the empty left side blue sky "Thank You". I had at first intended to have "The Joy of the Lord is My Strength" but I needed a Thank You card and the caption stuck.

To add a caption I scan the paintings in and then either use Publisher or simply Word. I then print them out on art paper, cut them out, attach to a card...and VOILA...card is made.






Daisy...   

Again the garden was used for inspiration as this daisy was taken from paradise to be painted and then left to live out it's days in the seclusion of my craft desk. I however greatly enjoyed it's beauty and am ever amazed at the complexity and incredible design of God's creation.


Where the Blue Wrens Sing...

This pretty fella was painted from a picture I found on Google Images. We have so many Blue Wrens and Jenny Wrens in our garden and I can never get enough of watching their silly antics and clever behaviour. A couple of years back there was a family of wrens living in the Port Wine Magnolia outside my bedroom window and to watch the way they played together and snuggled up to keep warm was so sweet to watch that they have been my favourite birds ever since.

I really enjoy painting cards for their simplicity and the chance they give to try painting objects from real life and photo's. Another benefit is how quickly they can be made as they're only little and a new piece of artwork is made without having spent hours on it. Aside from the benefit of always having a handmade card to give, sets of handmade (and painted) cards can make lovely gifts and once the original paintings are done, it simply becomes a print, cut and stick job.:)

For any budding artist out there I recommend having a go at the humble card. They are quick, fun and very rewarding to make.

God Bless,
Little Wren xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment